Thursday, April 5, 2007

Weeks of .NET

This last month have been spent coding in .NET (mostly VB.NET) at my full time practice at Avancit AB. I thought I would share a few things I've come across in the projects I've been working on during that time.

T-SQL
I had a problem where I needed to get all mail addresses of all groups in a company except those in the current group. This was solved by the SP shown below:

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[sp_GetMailAddressesByCompany]
(
@intCompID INT,
@excludeGroupID INT
)
AS
BEGIN
— Get all addresses in company that are NOT in the excluded group
SELECT addr.* FROM tblMailAddresses addr
INNER JOIN tblMailGroupsToAddresses con
ON con.intMailAddressID = addr.intMailAddressID
WHERE addr.intCompID = @intCompID
AND addr.intMailAddressID NOT IN
(
— Get all addresses in the excluded group
SELECT addr.intMailAddressID FROM tblMailAddresses addr
JOIN tblMailGroupsToAddresses con
ON con.intMailAddressID = addr.intMailAddressID
WHERE con.intMailGroupID = @excludeGroupID
)
END


BCP versus SqlBulkCopy
Another problem was where we had an application that needed to push tables from a client to a server effectively. The current version at the time used BCP which was run from a batch process and sometimes (but very rarely) failed.

I started to look around and I found that people where replacing BCP with SQLBulkLoad. I suggested we'd try it and we successfully implemented the transfer using it. As the whole process now took place inside the .NET application it was simple to setup a better error handling than was possible with BCP.

Macros
As for productivity, I've started to look into using macros in VS2005. The first macro I installed was one that reversed assignments. I know there are tools that do this, I think ReSharper has this ability, but I don't have it yet so a macro works just as good. You can find this macro at: http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/macroswapassignments.asp

DNR
Anyone still not listening to DotNetRocks are missing some great stuff. As I'm on a train or a bus for 3 hours a day I've listened to quite a few episodes in the last few weeks (1 to 40). Even the early episodes are great, they give a good insight into why things are the way they are and what is new in .NET 2.0 (as I started with 2.0, I don't have much of a reference as to the differences compared to 1.1).

TDD
Next week we're starting a project that will use TDD (Test Driven Development) for the first time within Avancit. It will be lots of fun and I'll probably write how that goes here later.

No comments: